December 12, 2011

What's up with Alex

What’s up Stanford fans! If you do not already know, I am injured again . During practice I was pushing off my left foot to pass the basketball when I felt something pop. I tried to walk, but when I did not feel any support, I just fell to my knees and rolled to my back. I was just surprised because it felt like someone stepped on my heel! Long story short, I tore my Achilles tendon. Although I was not initially in pain, it started to hurt as Susan Borchardt carried me in her arms to the training room (Haha she is SUPER strong).

Luckily the injury came right before Thanksgiving break so I did not miss any school. Unfortunately, I missed travelling with my team and having Thanksgiving dinner with them. I did, however, get to spend the whole week with my parents, whom I have missed since I have been at Stanford.

Of course I was disappointed at the time because I was just returning from another injury, but I have had time to think about the positive side of this injury. Tara reminds me almost every week about Nneka’s quote of the day “Every disappointment is a blessing.” I constantly think about this quote because it reminds me that I have so much to look forward to and that there is no reason for me to dwell upon my injury.

Now, I am going to physical therapy three times a week and lifting upper body weights during practice. Susan works me hard during practice, but I know that her workouts are exactly what I need if I want to return to the court healthy and strong. She is an inspiration because she suffered from two knee injuries and she made an awesome comeback. Also, she was a great defender- she still is, but I love playing defense and I believe that if there is anyone that can help me come back to the court playing tenacious D, it will be her.

Lastly, I want to express how GREAT my teammates are in supporting me through my injury. They are so much fun to be around and they are HILARIOUS!! The first day I got my golf cart, Chiney asked me for ride-haha I did not even have it for one day, but it is all good because her bike needed to be repaired. Also, my teammates have given me a lot of good advice about keeping a positive attitude and being the best cheerer on the sideline. Boothe talked to me about how it is important to stay mentally strong and to work hard during rehab. I know that I have the best teammates in the world and I am so lucky to be a member of this team.

** I want to give a shout-out to my J-RO corner support!! They helped me out in the dorm and at the dining halls!!

All right, talk to you later!

Alex

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there, Alex! We are so glad you are here at Stanford!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Alex. Not surprised at all that you have such great teammates and support from the staff. Good luck in your rehab!

    Happy Holidays! (oh, and before that, beat Princeton and TN)!

    ReplyDelete