November 28, 2014

A Friendship That Will Last a Lifetime


As the holiday and basketball seasons begin I find myself thinking about how thankful I am to be able to go to and play at Stanford. This school has been wonderful to me and has provided me with so many opportunities that I will cherish for a lifetime. One of those opportunities was meeting and getting know my amazing teammates. I am so grateful for them and their impact they have had on my life. There are so many reasons that makes this team so special and blessed, but here are just some of my favorites:

One reason is the helpful culture of the team. No matter the circumstance, there is always someone to give you a hand in times of need or just give you uplifting words when you are having a bad day. I’m especially thankful for the upperclassmen this season. At times I have become upset and frustrated about my performances in basketball but every time, they come to my rescue and remind me to shake things off and just keep playing.

Another reason is the tightknit bond within the team. It’s crazy how our relationships with each other have evolved into sisterhoods. I see these girls every day and each day is full of laughter, love, and friendship. One of my favorite team activities I appreciate the most is our locker room dancing and singing sessions. It is amazing how one song, no matter what the genre, can bring all of us together. Although we may not know all the words and sound like “aspiring” Whitney Houstons, Taylor Swifts, and sometimes Bon Jovis I think these are the times I love the most.

Last but not least, one thing that is sometimes overlooked, but is great to be thankful for is the fact that all of my teammates are healthy and able to play this season. I know so many teams where they have at least one person who has to sit out due to injury, and having a full healthy roster is truly a blessing.

I am so thankful for those amazing girls in my life and I know with our bond this season will be something to remember!

-Erica “Bird” McCall

No comments:

Post a Comment